Wynn caught up with Phil Haack to talk about NuGet and growing the .NET open source community at GitHub.
- Phil Haack, GitHubber, Microsoft alumnus, .NET open source guy.
- NuGet is a Visual Studio extension that makes it easy to install and update third-party libraries and tools in Visual Studio.
- log4net is often an open source trojan horse in the proprietary enterprise.
- NuGet features a command line interface and also integrates with SharpDevelop.
- Wynn asks what impact the names .NET and C# have had on SEO and adoption of Microsoft technology.
- C# is the #11 most popular language on GitHub.
- Tiobe places C# as #3 overall.
- Line endings in Git are everyone’s problem.
- GitHub may or may not be working on (GitHub for Windows®)™.
- Phil likes SignalR, an async signaling library for .NET to help build real-time, multi-user interactive web applications.
- Jabbr is a chat client showcase for SignalR.
- NancyFx is a lightweight, low-ceremony, framework for building HTTP based services on .NET and Mono.
- OWIN defines a standard interface between .NET web servers and web applications, much like Rack for Ruby.
- Sammy.js was also Rat Pack-inspired.
- Phil thinks LINQ and Reactive Extensions (Rx) are some innovations in .NET that should influence the broader community.
awaitkeyword in C# 5 will accelerate async adoption in .NET.
- Wynn <3’s Hubot and especially likes the Dude and Mustachify scripts.
- David Fowler, developer on the ASP.NET team and who works on NuGet and SignalR inspires Phil.