Zach Supalla joined the show to talk about Spark - a complete, open source, full stack solution for creating amazing internet connected things. We talk about making connected hardware easier, using Kickstarter to fund hardware projects, and Amazon’s new Dash Button. Zach also gave us a crash course on how to get started with making your own hardware.
Codeship – If it works with Docker, it works with Codeship Jet.
Toptal – Join Toptal and work with awesome people from anywhere in the world. Freelance with companies like Airbnb, Artsy & IDEO.
DigitalOcean – Use the code
CHANGELOG to get a $10 hosting credit when you create a new DigitalOcean account
Spark is fully open source on GitHub from hardware to software and Zach goes deep in this episode to school us on everything we need to know.
“Building an open source business is challenging because you’re giving away a lot of what you do. So the question is, how do you build a viable business that way?” - Zach Supalla @ 23:22
- Follow Zach Supalla on Twitter
- Spark | Open source IoT toolkit
- Spark Socket
- WarKitteh - Spark Projects
- Kickstarter - Spark Electron: Cellular dev kit with a global data plan by Spark IO
- Amazon Dash Button
- The Changelog #147: Elixir and Phoenix with Chris McCord
- Atom: free and open source for everyone
- The Changelog #104: Kickstarting Espruino with Gordon Williams
- Hardware design uses open source too! · Issue #104 · thechangelog/ping
- OSH Park
- Prototype to Production
- Hacking the Xbox: An Introduction to Reverse Engineering
- Novena Laptop
- Andrew (bunnie) Huang
- WarSting: A Wi-Fi scanning sword for Hobbits