Adam sat down with Designer/Developer John Long, creator of RadiantCMS about his new project Serve, design, and running a successful open source project.
Notes & Links
- John Long of Wiseheart design
- Serve is a rapid prototyping framework for web applications
- John created RadiantCMS, later extended by Sean Cribbs
- Radiant led John to a relationship with Pragmatic Programmers and formation of a Ruby Visual Identity team
- Serve is basically the Rails View layer, sans the Model and Controller.
- Serve’s makes it easier to use URLs that end in a
/instead of file extension
- Serve’s view helper are Rails compatible
- Serve is Rack under the hood
- Acoustic is Django-inspired and aims to be between Sinatra and Rails
- “What Rails can learn from Django”
- Running a successful open source project can take over your life
- In the early days of Radiant, Subversion made it difficult to accept community contributions
- Git and GitHub has increased community participation
- Use Compass’s CSS3 module and save your sanity
- Compass can change your design workflow
- Fancy Buttons is a Compass plugin to easily create image-less buttons
- Grab the code for Adam’s nifty Serve bootstrap, which adds easy support for Haml, Sass, Compass, and more.
- Join the newly created Serve Users group