Wynn sat down with three Vim users and experts to talk about tips and tricks for using and pimping the popular text editor.
- Vim seeks to provide the power of Unix’s Vi
- Drew Neil hosts VimCasts
- Tim Pope has created numerout Vim plugins
- Yehuda Katz from SproutCore, Rails, and jQuery fame.
- Dr. Nic says Vim is cutting edge 1960s tech.
- Janus Yehuda and Carl’s MacVim bundle
- Everyone that tried to convince Yehuda to try Vim were wrong.
- Vim is a modal interface
- Wynn laments that TextMate 2 is the new Duke Nukem
- NerdTree is a text-based treeview inside your vim
- Tim uses his vibrantink mod called vividchalk
- Yehuda wants to give Solarized Vim is cutting edge 1960s tech.
- Yehuda like visual block mode
- MacVim lets you use ?-S.
- Wynn asks how the world would be different if DHH had used Vim instead of TextMate for his famous Rails screencast.
- Tim likes
CTRL-Eto bind an editor to the command line.
- Yehuda says you should be using
ruby -einstead of
- Drew loves
- “Matz is (under)rated.”
- Tim says we owe so much to Linus for Linux and Git.