The Changelog – Episode #56
Vim round table discussion
with Drew Neil, Tim Pope, and Yehuda Katz
Wynn sat down with three Vim users and experts to talk about tips and tricks for using and pimping the popular text editor.
Notes & Links
- Vim seeks to provide the power of Unix’s Vi
- Drew Neil hosts VimCasts
- Tim Pope has created numerout Vim plugins
- Yehuda Katz from SproutCore, Rails, and jQuery fame.
- Dr. Nic says Vim is cutting edge 1960s tech.
- Janus Yehuda and Carl’s MacVim bundle
- Everyone that tried to convince Yehuda to try Vim were wrong.
- Vim is a modal interface
- Wynn laments that TextMate 2 is the new Duke Nukem
- NerdTree is a text-based treeview inside your vim
- Tim uses his vibrantink mod called vividchalk
- Yehuda wants to give Solarized Vim is cutting edge 1960s tech.
- Yehuda like visual block mode
- MacVim lets you use ?-S.
- Wynn asks how the world would be different if DHH had used Vim instead of TextMate for his famous Rails screencast.
- Tim likes
CTRL-Eto bind an editor to the command line.
- Yehuda says you should be using
ruby -einstead of
- Drew loves
- “Matz is (under)rated.”
- Tim says we owe so much to Linus for Linux and Git.