Changelog & Friends Changelog & Friends #4

"Mat Depends"

Mat Ryer is back and he’s brought with him 10 tips to be a 10x developer (like he is). After that, we try a new segment we’re calling “Tool Time” (and try out a few jingles for it along the way). Finally, it’s time to review our previous unpopular opinions and put some new ones into the world for your (dis)agreeing pleasure. Join us for an automagical time!


Sign in or Join to comment or subscribe

2023-06-17T00:50:42Z ago

So if I recall the reason the plane doesn’t need to adjust is part gravity the other part is lift because as the plane is pulling itself forward it also generates lift. The gravity and lift cancel out and leave it in place (for as long as it can pull itself forward)

2023-08-18T13:12:24Z ago

You are correct. Altitude is the location where lift force is same as gravity force.

As plane moves forward, it effectively achieves a higher altitude relative to surface of earth (because it’s round).

Air at higher altitude is thinner, therefore providing less lift. Gravity pulls plane down until forces equalize again. No adjustments required.


2023-06-19T08:06:33Z ago

I was sceptical about this new show, but this episode made me laugh out loud on the train. Still sceptical though…

2023-06-20T03:27:50Z ago

I think a 10x developer is one who multiplies the output of their team by 10. So a bad teammate is not just a 1x developer, they are a 0.5x developer.

Jerod Santo

Jerod Santo

Omaha, Nebraska

Jerod co-hosts The Changelog, crashes JS Party, and takes out the trash (his old code) once in awhile.

2023-06-22T16:40:20Z ago

I agree. The highest leverage activity you can participate in is to enable and empower others to produce above and beyond what they’d otherwise be capable of.

This is one of the reasons Michael Jordan remains the GOAT despite other players coming along with similar/better career stats than him: he made his teammates so much better

2023-06-22T22:14:40Z ago

good stuff, much appreciated! i kind of agree with mat’s unpopular opinion because of bluetooth unreliability, except that my wired keyboard has now on multiple occasions not been recognized by my computer, which is 75% of my issue with wireless keyboards (the other 25% being the need to charge it). i don’t agree with adam’s opinion, but i respect his defense. my preferred touch id button replacement is getting prompts on my watch and authorizing them there with a double click. side note: my phone autocorrected “automagical” to “automagically”. i hate ‘em both equally.

Jerod Santo

Jerod Santo

Omaha, Nebraska

Jerod co-hosts The Changelog, crashes JS Party, and takes out the trash (his old code) once in awhile.

2023-06-23T13:48:24Z ago

I will ruthlessly eliminate every wire from my life given the first opportunity. But I’m not going to act like there aren’t consequences to that. (Wired ethernet reliability is soooo nice when you have it.)

This time my “automagical” opinion just has to be unpopular, doesn’t it? Since the opposite opinion ended up being popular, you’d think I’d have it on lock…

2023-06-24T11:24:02Z ago

Git with your friends was my first episode and I have been a consistent listener since then. I like all the formats; traditional, short and long news, live interviews, etc. I’ve learned a lot, but these lighter episodes are a great balance. I really like Mat and the rapport the three of you have is great.

Player art
  0:00 / 0:00