Wynn sat down with Ethan Schoonover, creator of Solarized to talk about the science and design behind the wildly popular color scheme as well as his love for Arch Linux.
- Ethan Schoonover is a freelance designer, creator of Solarized.
- Solarized is a sixteen color palette (eight monotones, eight accent colors) designed for use with terminal and gui applications.
- Vimscript can be intimidating for noobs.
- The Solarized palette aims to maximize sixteen colors, providing contrast on both dark and light backgrounds
- Ethan works in the CIELAB:
A Lab color space is a color-opponent space with dimension L for lightness and a and b for the color-opponent dimensions, based on nonlinearly compressed CIE XYZ color space coordinates.
- Achievement unlocked: First guest to mention fovea centralis on the show.
- “This fellow Wright” is W. David Wright, who experimented with color perception in 1930s.
- Ethan works out of the LAB space, mapping to other color spaces as tools require.
- Solarized looks great in a number of fonts as well as syntaxes.
- Wynn asks if Sass should support LAB.
- Terminus is Ethan’s favorite fixed with font, but also likes Letter Gothic Mono.
- Wynn’s litmus test for fixed fonts is the dashrocket alignment.
- Micah Rich, founder of The League of Movable Type was on Episode 0.7.4.
- Arch Linux is Ethan’s favorite Linux distro.
- xmonad is a dynamically tiling X11 window manager that is written and configured in Haskell.
- The tmux reference on the Arch wiki is most helpful. Check out Episode 0.7.3 for more on tmux.
- TotalTerminal from the talented Antonin Hildebrand.
brew tapmakes it easy to tap a new Homebrew formula repository from GitHub, or list existing taps.
- Freshmeat.net is now freecode.com.
- GIMP is no Photoshop replacement.
- Haskell is an advanced, purely-functional programming language.
- XMonad.Prompt.Input is similar to Quicksilver.
- Karthik’s terminal convinced Wynn to give Solarized a go.
- Wynn figured out how to do ‘transparent’ colors in the tmux status bar.
- TaskWarrior is Ethan’s todo manager, which is saying something since he created Kinkless GTD.
- Drew Neil, creator of Vimcasts, featured on Episode 0.5.6.
- Dr. Nic Williams, on Episode #50.